Office Location: N3-02c-71
Professor Leong Kai Choong joined the then Nanyang Technological Institute (NTI) as a Lecturer in 1984 after working for several years as a mechanical engineer in the manufacturing and construction industry in Singapore. As Associate Professor in the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) since 1991, he has served concurrently as Vice-Dean (Academic) from June 2002 to May 2006 and then as Associate Chair (Academic) from June 2006 to May 2008. Dr Leong’s research has focused on thermal management of electronic packages, heat transfer in nanofluids and hybrid fuel cell-based adsorption cooling systems. He has been principal investigator and active collaborator for many research projects funded by NTU and external funding agencies and has published more than 110 papers in international journals, international conference proceedings and book chapters.
Dr. Leong has served in a variety of positions in several professional societies. He was President of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Singapore Chapter in 1994-1995. He is a Registered Professional Engineer (Mechanical) in Singapore and a Senior Member of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore.
* Information on the Professional Engineers Act, Chapter 253 may be obtained from the Professional Engineers Board, Singapore.
Heat transfer in nanofluids. Thermal management of electronic packages. Hybrid fuel cell based power and cooling systems. Adsorption refrigeration.
If you are interested in pursuing a PhD or Master of Engineering (MEng) degree by research on “Novel Porous Channel Heat Sink for Cooling Densely Packed Electronic Packages” or “Heat Transfer in Nanofluids”, please email me. Applicants with at least a Second Class Honours Upper Division or equivalent degree in Mechanical Engineering may be eligible for a top-up amount on top of their research stipend if they are successful in obtaining admission. Check out this web page for Information on admission to graduate studies at NTU
Semester 1, Starting on August 2009
MP3003 Heat Transfer – 3rd Year (Lectures and Tutorials)
MP2071 Laboratory 2A
MP3071 Laboratory 3
Semester 2, Starting on January 2010
MP3003/AE3003 Heat Transfer – 3rd Year (Lectures and tutorials)
MP3071 Laboratory 3
o MPE Excellence in Teaching Award, Nanyang Technological University, 1999.
o Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering (since 4th Edition in 1998-99)
o Institution of Engineers, Singapore Prestigious Publication Award for Best Theory Paper, 1995. IES Awards
o Keynote Speaker at 3rd Asian Symposium on Visualization,
, 1994. Chiba, Japan
o NTI Academic Staff Development Scheme Scholarship, 1985 - 1986
S.M.S., Leong, K.C. and Yang, C., "Heat transfer of nanoparticle
suspensions (nanofluids)", in Nanoparticles:
New Research, Nova Science Publishers, Inc,
· Leong, K.C. and Jin, L.W., "Heat transfer in open-cell metal foams subjected to oscillating flow", in Thermal Properties of Cellular and Porous Materials, A. Öechsner, G.E. Murch and M. De Lemos, eds., Chapter 10, Wiley-VCH, pp. 291 - 341, 2008.
· Leong, K.C., Li. H.Y., Jin, L.W. and Chai, J.C., "Convective heat transfer in graphite foams with baffle and stagger structures", ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, accepted for publication, 2010.
· Li. H.Y., Leong, K.C., Jin, L.W. and Chai, J.C., "Transient two-phase flow and heat transfer with localized heating in graphite foams", International Journal of Thermal Sciences, in press, 2010.
· Li. H.Y., Leong, K.C., Jin, L.W. and Chai, J.C., "Analysis of fluid flow and heat transfer in a channel with staggered porous blocks", International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 49, No. 6, 950 - 962, 2010.
· Leong, K.C., Li. H.Y., Jin, L.W. and Chai, J.C., "Numerical and experimental study of forced convection in graphite foams of different configurations", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 520 – 532, 2010.
· Murshed S.M.S., Leong K.C. and Yang C., "A combined model for the effective thermal conductivity of nanofluids", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 29, Nos. 11 - 12, pp. 2477 – 2483, 2009..
· Murshed, S.M.S., Leong, K.C. and Yang, C., "Thermophysical and electrokinetic properties of nanofluids – a critical review", Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 28, Nos. 17 – 18, pp. 2109-2125, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.01.005
· Murshed, S.M.S., Leong, K.C. and Yang, C., "Characterization of electrokinetic properties of nanofluids", Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol. 8, No. 11, pp. 5966 - 5971, 2008.
· Liu, Y. and Leong, K.C., "Numerical modeling of a zeolite/water adsorption cooling system with non-constant condensing pressure", International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 618 – 622, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2007.12.004
· Leong, K.C. and Jin, L.W., "Study of highly conductive graphite foams in thermal management applications", Advanced Engineering Materials, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 338 – 345, 2008.
· Jin, L.W. and Leong, K.C. "Pressure drop and friction factor of steady and oscillating flows in open-cell porous media", Transport in Porous Media, Vol. 72, No. 1, pp. 37 – 52, 2008. 10.1007/s11242-007-9134-3
· Murshed, S.M.S., Leong, K.C. and Yang, C., "Investigations of thermal conductivity and viscosity of nanofluids", International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 560 – 568, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2007.05.004
· Yeo, K.H., Zhou, T. and Leong, K.C., "Experimental study of passive heat transfer enhancement in drag-reducing flow", Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 9 - 18, 2007.
· Leong, K.C., Yang, C. and Murshed, S.M.S., "A model for the thermal conductivity of nanofluids - the effect of interfacial layer", Journal of Nanoparticle Research, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 245 - 254, 2006. doi:10.1007/s11051-005-9018-9.
· Murshed, S.M.S., Leong, K.C. and Yang, C., "A model for predicting the effective thermal conductivity of nanoparticles-fluids suspensions", International Journal of Nanoscience, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 23 - 33, 2006.
· Liu, Y. and Leong, K.C., "Numerical study of an internal-reforming solid oxide fuel cell and adsorption chiller co-generation system," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 159, No. 1, pp. 501-508, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.10.107.
· Leong, K.C. and Liu, Y., "System performance of a combined heat and mass recovery adsorption cooling cycle: a parametric study", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, Nos. 15-16, pp. 2703 - 2711, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.01.012.
· Zhou, T., Leong, K.C. and Yeo, K.H. "Experimental study of heat transfer enhancement in a drag-reducing two-dimensional channel flow", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, Nos. 7 - 8, pp 1462 - 1471, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.09.023.
· Liu, Y. and Leong, K.C., "Numerical study of a novel cascading adsorption cycle", International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 250-259, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2005.05.008.
· Leong, K.C. and Jin, L.W. "Effect of oscillatory frequency on heat transfer in metal foam heat sinks of various pore densities", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, Nos. 3-4, pp. 671-681, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.08.015.
· Leong, K.C. and Jin, L.W. "Characteristics of oscillating flow through a channel filled with open-cell metal foam", International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 144 -153, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2005.05.004.
· Murshed, S. M. S., Leong, K.C. and Yang, C., "Enhanced thermal conductivity of TiO2 - water based nanofluids", International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 3671 - 3673, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2004.12.005.
· Leong, K.C. and Jin, L.W. An experimental study of heat transfer in oscillating flow through a channel filled with an aluminum foam", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 243 - 253, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2004.08.025.
· Mr Indro Pranoto, PhD student, January 2008 – present.
· Ms Li Hongying, PhD student, August 2007 – present.
· Dr Murshed, S M Sohel, PhD (2007) #, Thesis title: Heat Transfer Characteristics of Nanofluids
· Dr Jin Liwen, PhD (2006), Thesis title: Convection Heat Transfer in a Porous Channel Subjected to Oscillating Flow
· Dr Liu Yue, PhD (2006), Thesis title: Modelling of Adsorption-based Refrigeration Systems
· Mr Yeo Keng Hoo, MEng (2005) +, Thesis title: Heat Transfer Enhancement in Drag-Reducing Channel Flow
· Mr Yang Liyu, MEng (1997), Thesis title: Thermal Measurements and Modelling of Electronic Packages
· Mr Tan Hean Seng, MEng (1996) *, Thesis title: Theoretical and Experimental Studies on Film Boiling of Alternative Refrigerants
# co-supervised with Dr Charles Yang, Associate Professor at School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University.
+ co-supervised with Dr Zhou Tongming who is currently a Lecturer at the School of Civil and Resource Engineering, University of Western Australia.
* co-supervised with Dr. Tso Chih Ping who is currently a Professor at the Faculty of Engineering and Technology of Multimedia University, Malaysia.
Mr. Tan Hean Seng is currently working as Senior Unix System Administrator in Xilinx Asia Pacific.
Dr. Yang Liyu, Steve is a Reliability/Quality Assurance Engineer in NVIDIA, USA. He received his PhD in Reliability Engineering from the University of Maryland, College Park, USA in 2009.
Mr. Yeo Keng Hoo is a Research & Development Engineer (Mechanical) in Siemens Water Technologies, Singapore.
Dr. Liu Yue is an Associate Professor at the Department of Environmental Engineering, Zhejiang University, China.
Dr. Sohel Murshed is a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Department of Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering, University of Central Florida, USA.
Dr. Jin Liwen (Research Fellow, 2006 - present, PhD NTU) - Topic of research: Novel Porous Channel Heat Sink for Cooling Densely Packed Electronic Packages
Dr. Fu Huili (Research Fellow, 1998 - 2000, PhD HKUST) - Topic of research: Heat Transfer in Porous Media with Oscillating Flow
Dr. Sun Jinhui (Research Fellow, 1995 - 1997, PhD UMIST) - Topic of research: Temperature Mapping using Liquid Crystal Thermography.
Professor Max G.Q. Lu (Senior Fellow, 2001) – Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), The University of Queensland.
E-Learning Course for Ministry of Defence, Singapore on Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics - since 2002.
Continuing Education for Professionals in Engineering & Science - June - July 2003.
Fundamentals of Air System Design (with Dr. T.Y. Bong) - 7 to 9 November 2001.
Executive Programme on Energy Management - 27 November to 1 December 2000.
Tanjong Rhu Boys' School
Last revised: 20 April 2010