School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Ave., Singapore 639798
Phone: (+65)6790 5288;
Fax: (+65)6792 1650;
Dr. Xiaosheng Qin is currently an Associate Professor with School of Civil and Environmental Engineering in Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He obtained his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from Hunan University, China, and PhD degree from University of Regina, Canada. Dr. Qin mainly teaches Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering at both undergraduate and graduate levels. His research interests cover the topics of water resource systems modelling and urban environmental resource management. Dr. Qin has served as local panel of experts on climate modeling sponsored by BCA from 2011 to 2014 and worked (as PI or Co-PI) on a number of research projects supported by MND, MOE, JTC, NParks, EOS, and EWI with a total project value (internal/external) around S$ 6.7 million. Dr. Qin is currently the Associate Editors for Journal of Environmental Informatics and Water Science and Technology, and serves (or served) as board members, and guest editors for 7 international journals. Dr. Qin was invited as reviewers for over 50 journals and has over 140 scientific publications (journal & conference papers) with total citations at 1471 and H-index at 23 according to the ISI Web of Science record as of Oct 2017.
• Ph.D., University of Regina, Canada, 2008
• M.Sc., Hunan University, China, 2001
• B.Eng., Hunan University, China, 1998
• Member, International Society for Environmental Information Sciences (ISEIS), 2002
• Associate Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2009
• Member, International Water Association (IWA), 2012
• Member, International Association for Hydro-Environment Research Engineering and Research (IAHR), 2012
• Member, American Geophysical Union, 2016
• 2015.09 to present, Associate Professor, School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2016.04 to present, Cluster Leader, Enviornmental Process Modeling Centre (EPMC), NEWRI, NTU
• 2016.11 to 2016.12, Visiting Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta, Canada
• 2015.01 to 2016.03, Cluster Leader, DHI-NTU Water & Env. Researsh Centre & Educational Hub, NEWRI, NTU
• 2014.10 to 2017.05, Associate Chair (Students), School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2009.08 to 2015.08, Assistant Professor, School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2011.04 to 2014.02, Principal Investigator, Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
• 2008.01 to 2009.06, Environmental Scientist, Center for Studies in Energy and Environment (CSEE), University of Regina, Canada
• 2001.06 to 2002.05, Research Assistant, Institute of Environmental Protection of Hunan University, China
• Hydrological/flood modelling and climate change impact assessment
• Water quantity and quality management under complexity
• Groundwater modelling, risk assessment and remediation
• Urban air, waste, and energy systems modelling and management
• Design and development of sustainable urban systems
• CV2602 – Water Resources Engineering, Lecturer, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• EN2603/CV2016 – Hydrology, Lecturer, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• EN2001 - Environmental Issues in a Changing World, Lecturer, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• MP0210 – Introduction to Energy (Hydroelectric Energy), Lecturer, NTU, Singapore
• FE1001 – Physics I (Fluid Mechanics), Lecturer, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• CV2015 – Hydraulics, Tutorial Instructor, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• CV2601 – Fluid Mechanics, Tutorial Instructor, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• FE1006 – Mathematics I, Tutorial Instructor, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• ENPE 490 – Petroleum Waste Management, Lecturer, University of Regina, Canada
• ENPE 384 – Engineering Materials, Lecturer, University of Regina, Canada
• CV6626 – Urban Hydrology, Lecturer, CEE, NTU, Singapore
• ENPE 862 – Environmental Modeling & Decision Making, Invited Lecturer, University of Regina, Canada
• ENPE 864 – Petroleum Waste Management, Invited Lecturer, University of Regina, Canada
• “The Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources Management”, Lecture for GlobalTech Summer Camp, organized by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. June 17, 2012.
• “Integrated Water Resources and Environment Management Policy in Water Scarce Regions”, Training Courses for Japan-Singapore Partnership Programme for the 21st Century, Organized by Centre for Continuing Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. August 30-September 3, 2010.
• “Environmental Issues and Management Policies in Western China”, Training Courses for United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Organized by China International Center for Economic and Technical Exchanges (CICETE), Xiamen, China. November 5-6, 2003.
• Nanyang Education Award (School), Nanyang Technological University, March 8, 2016
• Young Scientist Paper Award (Third Place), 6th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology 2012, Houston, USA, 06/2012.
• Best Practice-Oriented Paper Award (American Society of Civil Engineers), Environmental Multi-Media Council, World Water & Environmental Resources Congress, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 06/2004.
• Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad, China Scholarship Council, 06/2007.
• Graduate Student Research Award, University of Regina, 2006-2007.
• Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Informatics, International Society for Environmental Information Sciences, Jan 2012-
• Associate Editor, Water Science and Engineering, Hohai University, China, Mar 2013-
• Editorial Board Member, British Journal of Environment and Climate Change, Science Domain International, Jan 2013-
• Editorial Board Member, The Scientific World Journal, Energy subject, Hindawi Publishing Cooperation, May 2012-
• Editorial Board Member, Environmental Systems Research (ESR), Springer Science, Jan. 2012-
• Editorial Board Member, Journal of Geographic Information System (JGIS), Scientific Research Publishing, Aug. 2010-
• Co-Guest Editor, Journal of Applied Mathematics, Special Issue: “Modeling of Water Quality, Quantity, and Sustainability”, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2013-2014.
• Co-Guest Editor, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Special Issue: “Mathematical Modeling for Resources and Environmental Systems”, Hindawi Publishing Cooperation, 2012-2013.
• Co-Guest Editor, Energy Sources - Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Special Issue: “Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Development”, Taylor & Francis, 2008.
• Co-Guest Editor, Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems, Special Issue: “Environmental Systems Analysis under Uncertainty”, Taylor & Francis, 2008.
Committee Members & Services:
• Scientific committee, The International Conference on Marine and Freshwater Environment (iMFE) 2014, St. John’s, NL, Canada, August 6-8, 2014.
• Organizing committee, 7th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics (ISEH VII) 2014, NTU, Singapore, Jan 7-9, 2014.
• Scientific committee, International Symposium on Watershed Management and Flood Control (ISWMFC 2013), Banff, AB, Canada, August 2-4, 2013.
• Local panel of experts, Climate Modeling Sub-Study of the Risk Map Study Project, Building and Construction Authority (BCA), Singapore, Feb 2011 – Jan 2014.
• International program committee, the 3rd IASTED International Conference on Environmental Management and Engineering, Calgary, AB, Canada, July 4-6, 2011;
• Scientific committee, 4th ASCE-EWRI International Perspective on Water Resources & the Environment, Singapore, January 4-6, 2011;
• Technical committee, Young Water Talents Symposium, Suntec, Singapore, June 28, 2010;
• Organizing committee, International Conference on Environmental Informatics (ISEIS), Regina, Canada, August 25-27, 2004;
• “D2-Advances in Numerical and Physical Modeling” session, the 12th International Conference on Hydroinformatics (HIC 2016), Incheon, Korea, 21-26 August, 2016.
• “Water and Wastewater Treatment and Utility Management (WWT) II” session, The International Conference on Marine and Freshwater Environment (iMFE) 2014, St. John’s, NL, Canada, August 7, 2014.
• “Water Quality Modelling” session, 7th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics, Singapore, January 8, 2014.
• “Sustainable Development and Environmental Management” session, 5th IEEE International Conference on Management of Innovation and Technology, Singapore, June 2-5, 2010;
• “Water Resources Management” session, 2010 Young Water Talents Symposium, Suntec, Singapore, June 28, 2010.
• “Applications of Numerical and Physical Models” session, the 9th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, Tianjin, China, September 7, 2010.
Invited Speakers at Scientific Workshops/Conferences:
• “Evaluating the effect of climate change on urban hydrological extremes”, Keynote Speech at the International Experts’ Workshop on “Towards Urban Water Security in Southeast Asia: Managing Risk of Extreme Events”, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 19-20 November 2015.
• “Plenary Session – Water & Environment”, Plenary Speech at the 10th Asia-Oceania Top University League (AOTULE) on Engineering Deans Meeting and Student Conference, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2 November, 2015.
• “Flood damage assessment under coupled uncertainties”, Keynote Speech at the 2nd International Conference on Civil Engineering and Urban Planning, Yantai, August 18-20, 2012.
• “Assessing climate change impact on urban drainage systems”, Invited Seminar of NTU-HDB Joint Research Workshop at School of CEE, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 27 June, 2014.
• “Statistical downscaling for updating intensity-duration-frequency (IDF) curves of Singapore”, Invited Seminar of “Climate Change Effects on Rainfall and Coastal Erosion” at BCA, MND Penthouse, Tower Block MND Complex, 5 Maxwell Road, Singapore, March 31, 2014.
• “Environmental Planning using Coupled Simulation and Optimization under Probabilistic Uncertainty”, Invited Seminar at Sino-Canada Resources and Environmental Research Academy, North China Electric Power University, July 16, 2012.
• “Integrated Watershed Management under Climate Change”, Invited Seminar at the NTU-WRU Workshop on Climate Change, Water Resources University (WRU), Hanoi, Vietnam. March 30, 2010.
• “Modelling Hydrologic Effects of Green-Roof Systems”, Invited Seminar at the NTU-KAIST Workshop on Environmental and Infrastructural Sustainability, Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management (ICRM), CEE, NTU, Singapore, January 29, 2010.
• “Development of a Computer Model for Supporting Remediation of Salt-Contaminated Sites through Electro-kinetic Technology”, Invited Seminar at the Linkages 2009 Forum on “Municipal Infrastructure Innovation and Business”, Regina Inn and Conference Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan. January 12, 2009.
• “Advanced Remediation Technologies for Supporting Management of Petroleum-Contaminated Sites”, Invited Seminar at the 2007 Sino-Canada Symposium on Treatment Technology of Oily Solid Waste, China National Petroleum Cooperation (CNPC), Beijing, China. November 14, 2007.
• “Inexact Environmental Modeling System for Petroleum Waste Management”, Invited Seminar at the 2007 ISEIS Symposium on Water Resources & Environmental Management, Regina, Canada, May 3, 2007.