Why pursue an EEE degree in NTU?
- NTU is internationally recognised as a university of technology, business and industry, with a strong research inclination.
- EEE boasts a top-notch faculty of over 220 professors with broad and varied backgrounds and with cutting edge research expertise.
- The BEng (EEE) programme is a professional degree programme with a broadbased and flexible curriculum that integrates theory with industrial practice.
- We provide comprehensive practical and hands-on training through engineering design, project work and laboratory experiments.
- An industrial attachment programme in third year enriches students’ experience in real-life engineering.
- In the final year, students embark on their final year project solving real life problems which are both research and industrial in nature.
- Students have the opportunities to undertake a minor programme of study and participate in international exchange programmes and attachments at local and overseas partner universities/research institutions.
- The EEE course is designed such that graduates can contribute immediately upon employment. They are also well-equipped to pursue a higher degree.
Hmm, EEE sounds exciting. Tell me more!
- Our curriculum is designed to achieve a very close integration of theory and current engineering practices so that our graduates can contribute and play an effective role in industry immediately after graduation.
- Although most students will complete the degree programme in 4 years, the more determined students may complete the programme in 3½ years by overloading their studies.
- EEE offers two research programmes, the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP) and Undergraduate Research Experience on Campus ( URECA), where students can pursue an independent research project under the supervision of a professor.
- We offer 11 areas of specialization in the final year of studies. These are Biomedical Electronics, Communication Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information & Communication Technology, Integrated Circuit Design, Intelligent Systems Engineering, Nanoelectronics, Digital Media Processing, Photonics, and Power and Clean Energy.
How about the course structure? How broad-based is it?
- Our broad-based and flexible curriculum provides a balance between physical sciences and mathematics, electrical and electronic engineering and humanities and social sciences.
- NTU also provides a comprehensive and multidisciplinary learning experience through Minor programmes in business, psychology, entrepreneurship, translation, sports management studies and many others.
What are the facilities for learning?
- NTU has superb facilities and infrastructure for teaching, research and recreation. All teaching facilities, including lecture theatres, tutorial rooms and laboratories, are state-of-the-art. The entire campus is Wi-Fi. Our students can log on anywhere in campus and learn their courses on-line.
- EEE boasts some of the most advanced research infrastructure regionally and globally. We have 12 world class research centres, as well as a state-of-the-art silicon micro-fabrication laboratory, a spacecraft assembly laboratory and a host of other exciting laboratories.
During my EEE programme, will I have the opportunity to study abroad?
EEE has been sending students to overseas universities on exchange programmes since 1994. The exchange programmes offered include:
- International Student Exchange Programme - study abroad for up to 2 semesters.
- Global Immersion Programme - study for a semester in the United States, France, Switzerland or India, and work and study for a semester in China.
- Summer Studies Programme – short-term study-and-play summer programmes during university vacation (May-July) around Asia, Europe and the United States.
- Overseas Industrial Attachment – work for a semester overseas in regional and international companies.
- International Research Attachment – pursue a research project with an overseas research institution.
How well recognised is my NTU EEE degree?
Besides being recognized by the Professional Engineers Board of Singapore and the Institution of Engineers, Singapore, the EEE Bachelor degree has been given full accreditation by the UK Institution of Electrical Engineers at the Master of Engineering level. This latter accreditation means that the NTU EEE degree is equivalent to a Master of Engineering in the UK and fully satisfies the education requirement for Chartered Engineer status there.
Can I do more than just obtain a basic EEE Bachelors' degree?
You can pursue a higher degree by research/coursework in NTU or in many other countries - the NTU EEE degree is well recognised and respected.
- For higher degree by coursework in NTU, you can choose the Master of Science programmes .
- For research, you can choose either a Master by research or a PhD degree. Qualified candidates may obtain financial assistance in the form of research scholarships or research assistantships.
What are my career options after I graduate?
- We prepare our graduates for careers as professional engineers in research, design, development, manufacturing, quality control, marketing, sales and technical support.
- Our graduates find employment in different industries which include IC manufacturing industries, semiconductor industries, power generation and distribution companies, engineering firms, internet service providers, telecommunication service providers, financial institutes, control and automation industries, optoelectronic industries, software houses, government agencies, education institutes, research institutes and many others… Some of our graduates have also ventured to start their own companies.
- Our versatile training also allows our graduates to work in many other areas such as research and development, consultancy, academia, hi-tech startups, marketing, sales and technical support, financial institutions, etc.
I am interested in the programme but I do not have a EEE background. Is the course suitable for me?
You need not have a EEE background to opt for our EEE BEng degree programme.
- Students with GCE ‘A’ Level qualifications or equivalent will study foundation courses in their first year to prepare them for courses in Electrical & Electronic Engineering in their subsequent years of studies.
- Polytechnic Diploma holders in relevant diploma programmes will be offered courses in physics and mathematics to prepare them for more advanced courses in their higher years of studies.
I am interested in EEE programme, what do I need to do?
To apply, you can contact the Undergraduate Admissions at http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/undergraduate/Pages/default.aspx.
You can also obtain more information on the courses offered by the School of EEE at http://www.ntu.edu.sg/eee.